Tuesday, September 9, 2014

POP VOXX Update #45


As the more avid of you will know, with the exception of performing with my Weaver Street Market mates at #Weavestock in July, my musical alter ego, Pop Voxx / Geoff Gilson, has been on sabbatical, merrily putting together some bits and pieces I hope may provide me with the opportunity to do my music full-time. That would be along with living lavishly off the royalties due from the publication of The Book next May.

Pause for hilarity to subdue. Or thunderous applause. Excuse me, are these your knickers?

The gameplan for #PopVoxx involves various levels of options, beginning with (A) Let's give the pop charts a shot, Pharrell darling, that's NOT how we do the Kisses Dance. Wending a tortured path through possibilities like a national tour of Greek fraternities or gay clubs, the spring break scene. To an (F), which is getting residency at a resort or work on a cruise ship. And ending somewhere down about (X) with ... I barely want the words to pass my lips ... children's entertainer. Yup. That sound was Fred Rogers turning. But, you know, very remunerative ...

Anyway. Bits and pieces. On the (A) end of the scale, I am putting together an 11-song CD, pretty much with the songs with which you lot are familiar, with the wonderful team at Nightsound Studios - Chris Wimberley, Meghan Puryear, Adrianna Villa and Geneva Walata. Now, I say 'familiar.' What is truly exciting for me is that the songs will sound nothing like the Casio-backed tracks you've been doing the light fandango to at my gigs. We are finally managing to extricate from my brain the sound that's been rattling around in there for the best part of 30 years, fermenting and maturing. All I can say at this stage is, think Surfer Rock meets heavy Bossa Nova goes to lunch with Club. I keep calling it Electronic Dance Rock. And Club Beat. Yeah. Really helps, eh?

At the same time, I've been working on (F), by getting a fantastic local videographer, Travis Stewart, to put together a short highlights reel for agents, resorts, cruise ships, Las Vegas, Jennifer Lawrence Nude Selfies (who put that in here?). That video is now attached. Funny thing. Everything in the pop world seems to work in chunks of three and a half minutes ...

More to come, stay tuned ...