Sunday, March 8, 2015

Communication, Decisions, Employees - Yay!!


Thank you Ruffin Slater, General Manager of Weaver Street Market Co-op. Never thought you'd hear me say that, eh?

Ruffin very kindly took time out of his Sunday to bring to me an advance copy of an employee questionnaire, notice of which will likely be thudding into WSM employee's mailboxes later this week.

Please pay attention!

This questionnaire offers all WSM employees the opportunity to help design the very communication and input processes I have been campaigning for the past couple of years.

But, this is not about me. This is about you. The designing will only happen if you get involved. If you go online (I do believe it will be an online questionnaire), if you actually answer the questions.

Don't look to me. My involvement was to help create the space to allow you good folks to have your say about what you want to see by way of better communication and more inclusion in decision-making in your co-op.

Having achieved that, I now stand back, make no suggestions of my own, and leave it to you. If you do nothing, then nothing will happen.

I have ideas. If you want to know them, write to me privately on Facebook, or at geoffgilson@hotmail.com. I'll share. But not publicly. Not for any sinister reason. But because I'm not going to hog the space that has been created.

So. Banging the drum does pay off. But it takes two to tango. So, a huge thank you to Ruffin, and to those who have helped him create this questionnaire. Actually, just to keep on, this is a three-person dance, and you good people are the third dancer.

I'm really excited. And for good reason. So excited, I'm going to share two of the questionnaire's stated goals which most reflect what we've been trying to do:

"GOAL: There is an effective, resilient, and user-friendly communication framework that serves as a foundation for improving communication."

And,

"GOAL: There is an on-going employee feedback process that solicits input and ideas, processes it effectively, and implements suggestions that further our goals."

I repeat. I'm thrilled. Now, it's over to you fellow co-workers. Keep a look-out. Read the Market Messenger this Thursday.

[You will notice the continuing Charlie Chaplin theme with the attached pic. He is happy. And he's giving a flower to a lady, to celebrate International Women's Day. A huge thank you to all the lovely women who make my life more glorious. For your compassion and your support.]