Thursday, April 25, 2013

Patrick David Alston - RIP


David Alston was one of the bravest people I know. Why is it always the gentle people, the good people, the most deserving, who are chosen by life to teach the rest of us how to stay upbeat in the face of the most debilitating illness?

I was blessed to be permitted to drive David home many an evening from the co-op we both loved. I can't say as we solved any of the world's problems as we chatted the few minutes we spent in each other's company. But I had the privilege of experiencing how much joy one can derive from the quality of a wonderful person's mere presence.

David loved life. He fought to hold on. And he left this world with dignity and courage. I hope he is now enjoying the peace he so richly deserves. And has found a choir which truly appreciates his bass. Thank you for your friendship, David. RIP.